Monday, April 6, 2009

Basketball: McLean vs. Langley
















Coming into the semi-finals game, I had no confidence that we could win. Langley, the single’s ward team, appeared unbeatable.

We had already lost to them in our worst basketball game of the regular season. They have a big guy who dunked on us and other players who seemed to hit all of their outside shots. I was really heated up over that game. One guy swung his elbows near my face and then swore at me! I got really upset. A loss is a loss, but when you lose to people who make you angry like that, it’s a hard thing to deal with.

Fitting, we’d all have a chance for retribution as we faced off again in the tournament semi-finals game.

Something neat happened before the game even started. As we circled up, someone said, “It doesn’t matter who takes the shot. We have got to be looking out for each other. Keep the ball moving. Try to get others the open shot and don’t force things.” I could feel we were peaking as a team and everyone seemed willing to be unselfish. Our team came together in unity.

We came out of the first quarter on top by two points. I was surprised, but felt hope.

At the half, we were only down by two points!

In the third quarter, things started coming together for us. We ran the floor hard. We got fouled and made our free throws. We even made contested 3-point shots. We went on a nine point run. But Langley was always just a shot away from coming back.

In the closing minutes of the 4th quarter, Langley scored, putting them up by one point. On the following inbounds play, I got the ball and sprinted down the right sideline. One defender was on my left hip and two others were closing fast to the basket. The defense collapsed on me as I got near the hoop. As I let go of the ball, one guy grabbed my shoulder. The referee’s whistle blew indicating a foul. With the ball in the air, things slowed down for me. I looked up through the hoop as the ball hit the top of the backboard and dropped through the bottom of the net.

Clutch!

I let out a roar “YES!” and punched the air with clenched fist as teammates stormed me and game me high fives and chest bumps. I have never felt so excited about making a shot in my life.

At this point I felt like we were going to win. Even though the game wasn’t over, I knew we were going to come out on top. I was celebrating every made basket, every steal. Everyone was coming up with clutch plays.

How fitting, that the bucket that sealed the deal came from Reed, who hadn’t taken an outside shot all game. He found himself open for a three-pointer, found confidence, stepped into it, and drained it.

Jason Johnson said it best. “It was an awesome effort all the way from Reed's 99% field goal percentage, Trevor's ice in the vein free throws, Jeff's slashing and 1's, Greg's clutch 3's, Robbie's solo bucket, and Ron shutting down the big man. Awesome team play.”

Langley was in it until the final seconds. They had two shots at a three to tie the game, but both rimmed out. We came together as a team in unity and slew the mighty Langley.

Tiffany watched from the sideline and said later, “That was the most dramatic game I’ve ever seen.” I was glad she could be there to witness my personal best game ever.

Even Brad Castle in the ward said, “That was the best game I’ve seen. Great teamwork.”

While I had come in with no individual confidence of a win, our team believed. As someone said, “We were older, fatter, and balder, but play well together.” Unity trumps individual talent. It was true, as we then went on to defeat the number one team in the championship game. Everyone had his own clutch moment. When the moment to do something special arises, having a team around you that believes makes it easier to perform. They had the talent and firepower, but we picked them apart collectively.

No comments: